In 1937, Ella Faust sold the house to Arthur C. Mergele, and the house then became known as the "Mergele
House". One New Braunfels resident vividly remembers watching
television for the first time at the house in the 1950's which was home
to her beloved "Tante Hanna" (Aunt Hanna).
The First Protestant Church acquired the house
some 20 years later, and used it as an education building. Needing
parking space for its growing congregation. The church sold the building
in 1978. It was moved to a 10-acre site on Gruene Road and Hanz Drive,
which was then outside the city limits of New Braunfels, about a mile
from the historic area of Gruene. In the process of that first move, 4
standing chimneys were taken down, the house was cut in half, and the
top of the roof was removed. Before the roof could be replaced, the
house sustained severe rain damage, and a large portion of the interior
was affected. Only 2 chimneys were rebuilt.
In 1981, the house changed hands again, and was
moved to a small parcel of land fronting on Gruene Road. This time, only
one chimney was left standing, to vent the kitchen stove. Major
remodeling was done by this owner - kitchen cabinets were custom built
and central air and heat were added.
In September, 1992, the Miles moved it across
the road to it's present site. With Ed, the designer and general
contractor, doing all the painting, carpentry and roofing himself, and
Billie, with her natural artistic bent, doing all the interior
decorating, they had, in the local vernacular - created "a silk purse
from a sow's ear" in less than five years.
After the house was moved, rotten porches were
torn off and rebuilt along with the porch railings and stairs, decaying
overhangs and roof eaves were replaced, roofing was repaired, the
foundation was completely reconstructed, windows were repaired, replaced
and recaulked, the entire exterior structure was repainted using colors
of the period. In the interior, tall pocket doors between living and
dining rooms were no longer usable and were removed. Plumbing, wiring,
air conditioning and heating were completely redone to be brought up to
code. Molding was replaced and added, matching the original molding in
Today, the Faust House stands
fully restored and is a grand exhibition of early 20th century Texas
style Victorian architecture and design.